Just to refresh your memory, here is what it looked like before, in all of its orange oak-ey glory:
So here was the process that I followed:
- Sand with palm sander and sand wedges where needed using medium grit
- Wipe/wash down
- 2 coats of primer - Zinsser Cover Stain, 6 hours between coats, 24 hours dry time after last coat
- 2 coats of paint - Benjamin Moore Advance in White Down, 16 hours between coats
- 3-5 days of "curing time"
2-3 coats of soft wax (Apply, dry & buff each coat) - Clear Briwax Cure time based on wax instructions
- Measure and cut fabric for backing, use anti-fray on edges and adhere to back of hutch using "404 Permanent Repositionable Craft Adhesive" (used in quilting apparently)
- Re-assemble, decide whether to rub n buff the hardware - I decided against it
In the meantime, I'll just sit and stare at the hutch. One more time for
If you want to follow my progress as I went, check out my planning post here, the first progress report here, the second progress report here, the third progress report here and my diy-er roadblock post here.
Linked up to: